- 1to choose somebody/something carefully from a group of people or things synonym select She was picked out from dozens of applicants for the job. He picked out the ripest peach for me.
- 2to recognize somebody/something from among other people or things See if you can pick me out in this photo. We couldn’t pick out any familiar landmarks.
- 1to play a tune on a musical instrument slowly without using written music He picked out the tune on the piano with one finger.
- 2to discover or recognize something after careful study Read the play again and pick out the major themes.
- 3to make something easy to see or hear a sign painted cream, with the lettering picked out in black The car lights picked out a cat running across the road.