- 1 [uncountable] letters, words, numbers, etc. that have been printed onto paper in large/small/bold print The print quality of the new laser printer is superb. see also small print newspapers/books
- 2[uncountable] used to refer to the business of producing newspapers, magazines and books the print media print unions mark
- 3[countable, usually plural] a mark left by your finger, foot, etc. on the surface of something His prints were found on the gun. see also fingerprint, footprint picture
- 4 [countable] a picture that is cut into wood or metal then covered with ink and printed onto paper; a picture that is copied from a painting using photography a framed set of prints Synonymspicture painting drawing portrait print sketchThese are all words for a scene, person or thing that has been represented on paper by drawing, painting, etc.picture a scene, person or thing that has been represented on paper using a pencil, a pen or paint:The children were drawing pictures of their pets.painting a picture that has been made using paint:a collection of paintings by American artistsdrawing a picture that has been made using a pencil or pen, not paint:a pencil/charcoal drawingportrait a painting, drawing or photograph of a person, especially of the head and shoulders:Vermeer’s ‘Portrait of the artist in his studio’ a self-portrait (= a painting that you do of yourself)print a picture that has been copied from a painting using photography:a Renoir printsketch a simple picture that is drawn quickly and does not have many details:I usually do a few very rough sketches before I start on a painting.Patterns to draw a picture/portrait/sketch to paint a picture/portrait to make a painting/drawing/portrait/print/sketch to do a painting/drawing/portrait/sketch CollocationsFine artsCreating art make a work of art/a drawing/a sketch/a sculpture/a statue/engravings/etchings/prints do an oil painting/a self-portrait/a line drawing/a rough sketch create a work of art/an artwork/paintings and sculptures produce paintings/portraits/oil sketches/his most celebrated work/a series of prints paint a picture/landscape/portrait/mural/in oils/in watercolours/(especially US English) in watercolors/on canvas draw a picture/a portrait/a cartoon/a sketch/a line/a figure/the human form/in charcoal/in ink sketch a preliminary drawing/a figure/a shape carve a figure/an image/a sculpture/an altarpiece/reliefs/a block of wood sculpt a portrait bust/a statue/an abstract figure etch a line/a pattern/a design/a name into the glass mix colours/(especially US English) colors/pigments/paints add/apply thin/thick layers of paint/colour/(especially US English) color/pigment use oil pastels/charcoal/acrylic paint/a can of spray paint work in bronze/ceramics/stone/oils/pastels/watercolour/a wide variety of mediaDescribing art paint/depict a female figure/a biblical scene/a pastoral landscape/a domestic interior depict/illustrate a traditional/mythological/historical/religious theme create an abstract composition/a richly textured surface/a distorted perspective paint dark/rich/skin/flesh tones use broad brush strokes/loose brushwork/vibrant colours/a limited palette/simple geometric forms develop/adopt/paint in a stylized manner/an abstract styleShowing and selling art commission an altarpiece/a bronze bust of somebody/a portrait/a religious work/an artist to paint something frame a painting/portrait hang art/a picture/a painting display/exhibit modern art/somebody’s work/a collection/original artwork/drawings/sculptures/a piece be displayed/hung in a gallery/museum install/place a sculpture in/at/on something erect/unveil a bronze/marble/life-size statue hold/host/mount/open/curate/see an exhibition (especially British English)/(usually North American English) an exhibit be/go on (British English) exhibition/(North American English) exhibit feature/promote/showcase a conceptual artist/contemporary works collect African art/modern British paintings/Japanese prints restore/preserve a fresco/great works of art See related entries: Artwork and techniques photograph
- 5 [countable] a photograph produced from film How many sets of prints would you like? a colour print Synonymsphotograph picture photo shot snapshot/snap printThese are all words for a picture that has been made using a camera.photograph a picture that has been made using a camera:a photograph of the house Can I take a photograph?picture a photograph:We had our picture taken in front of the hotel.photo a photograph:a passport photophotograph, picture or photo?Photograph is slightly more formal and photo is slightly less formal. Picture is used especially in the context of photographs in newspapers, magazines and books.shot a photograph:I tried to get a shot of him in the water. Shot often places more emphasis on the process of taking the photograph, rather than the finished picture.snapshot/snap an informal photograph that is taken quickly, and not by a professional photographer:holiday snapsprint a copy of a photograph that is produced from film or from a digital camera:a set of printsPatterns a colour photograph/picture/photo/snap/print to take a photograph/picture/photo/shot/snapshot cloth
- 6 [uncountable, countable] cotton cloth that has a pattern printed on it; this pattern a cotton print dress a floral print see also blueprint Word Origin Middle English (denoting the impression made by a stamp or seal): from Old French preinte
- 1(of a book) still available from the company that publishes it Is this edition still in print?
- 2(of a person’s work) printed in a book, newspaper, etc. It was the first time he had seen his name in print.