- 1 [transitive, intransitive] rate somebody/something (as) something | rate as something to have or think that somebody/something has a particular level of quality, value, etc. rate somebody/something (+ adv./prep.) The university is highly rated for its research. They rated him highly as a colleague. rate somebody/something + adj. Voters continue to rate education high on their list of priorities. rate somebody/something (as) something | rate somebody/something + noun The show was rated (as) a success by critics and audiences. rate as something The match rated as one of their worst defeats. + adj. I'm afraid our needs do not rate very high with this administration.
- 2[transitive] rate something (informal) to think that somebody/something is good What did you think of the movie? I didn't rate it myself.
- 3 [transitive, usually passive] to place somebody/something in a particular position on a scale in relation to similar people or things synonym rank rate somebody/something (+ adv./prep.) The schools were rated according to their exam results. a top-rated programme rate somebody/something + noun She is currently rated number two in the world.
- 4[transitive] rate something to be good, important, etc. enough to be treated in a particular way synonym merit The incident didn't even rate a mention in the press. Her death only rated a few lines in the local paper.
- 5[transitive, usually passive] rate something (+ noun) to state that a film/movie or video is suitable for a particular audience The cartoon was rated PG. see also X-rated, zero-rated Word Origin late Middle English (expressing a notion of ‘estimated value’): from Old French, from medieval Latin rata (from Latin pro rata parte (or portione)
verbjump to other results
BrE BrE//reɪt//; NAmE NAmE//reɪt//(not used in the progressive tenses)Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they rate
BrE BrE//reɪt//; NAmE NAmE//reɪt//he / she / it rates
BrE BrE//reɪts//; NAmE NAmE//reɪts//past simple rated
BrE BrE//ˈreɪtɪd//; NAmE NAmE//ˈreɪtɪd//past participle rated
BrE BrE//ˈreɪtɪd//; NAmE NAmE//ˈreɪtɪd//past simple rating
BrE BrE//ˈreɪtɪŋ//; NAmE NAmE//ˈreɪtɪŋ//past participle rating
BrE BrE//ˈreɪtɪŋ//; NAmE NAmE//ˈreɪtɪŋ//