- 1to lose power or stop working The battery has run down.
- 2to gradually stop functioning or become smaller in size or number British manufacturing industry has been running down for years. related noun rundown
- 1to make something lose power or stop working If you leave your headlights on you'll soon run down the battery.
- 2to make something gradually stop functioning or become smaller in size or number The company is running down its sales force. related noun rundown
- 1(of a vehicle or its driver) to hit somebody/something and knock them/it to the ground
- 2to criticize somebody/something in an unkind way He's always running her down in front of other people.
- 3to find somebody/something after a search