- 1to grow very quickly Their kids have shot up since I last saw them.
- 2to rise suddenly by a large amount Ticket prices shot up last year. Language BankincreaseDescribing an increase Student numbers in English language schools in this country increased from 66 000 in 2008 to just over 84 000 in 2009. The number of students increased by almost 30% compared with the previous year. Student numbers shot up/increased dramatically in 2009. The proportion of Spanish students rose sharply from 5% in 2008 to 14% in 2009. There was a significant rise in student numbers in 2009. The 2009 figure was 84 000, an increase of 28% on the previous year. The 2009 figure was 84 000, 28 per cent up on the previous year. As the chart shows, this can partly be explained by a dramatic increase in students from Spain.
- 3(slang) to inject an illegal drug directly into your blood
- 1to cause great damage to something by shooting
- 2[no passive] (slang) to inject an illegal drug directly into your blood