- 1 to be found, especially by chance, after being lost Don't worry about the letter—I'm sure it'll turn up.
- 2 (of a person) to arrive We arranged to meet at 7.30, but she never turned up.
- 3(of an opportunity) to happen, especially by chance He's still hoping something (= for example, a job or a piece of luck) will turn up. related noun turn-up
- 1 to increase the sound, heat, etc. of a piece of equipment Could you turn the TV up? + adj. The music was turned up loud.
- 2(British English) to make a piece of clothing shorter by folding and sewing it up at the bottom opposite let somethingdown related noun turn-up
- 3to find something Our efforts to trace him turned up nothing.