a historic US town in south-eastern Virginia. It was settled in 1633 as Middle Plantation but soon named after the English king William III. It was the capital of the colony from 1699 to 1779. The College of William and Mary was established there in 1693. The 18th-century town was built again in the 1930s as Colonial Williamsburg and is now very popular with tourists.