- 1 [uncountable] the activity of writing, in contrast to reading, speaking, etc. Our son’s having problems with his reading and writing (= at school) a writing case (= containing paper, pens, etc.)
- 2 [uncountable] the activity of writing books, articles, etc., especially as a job Only later did she discover a talent for writing. He is leaving the band to concentrate on his writing. creative writing feminist/travel, etc. writing see also songwriting See related entries: Writing and publishing
- 3 [uncountable] books, articles, etc. in general The review is a brilliant piece of writing.
- 4 writings [plural] a group of pieces of writing, especially by a particular person or on a particular subject His experiences in India influenced his later writings. the writings of Hegel
- 5 [uncountable] words that have been written or painted on something There was writing all over the desk.
- 6 [uncountable] the particular way in which somebody forms letters when they write synonym handwriting Who's this from? I don't recognize the writing. Extra examples Christians share some of their sacred writings with the Jews. Every morning the children do writing. He has very neat writing. He’s got very neat writing. Her early writing was concerned with the French Revolution. Her influence has been greatest through her writings. Her name crops up frequently in writings about the Renaissance. Her writings reflect the breadth of her interests. His writing style is well suited to this subject matter. His writings on the history of art were published by Greenway and Settle. His writings provide us with a first-hand account of the civil war. His writings range from ancient to contemporary art, and include a study of Giorgione’s paintings. Housman’s description of the writing of poetry I can’t read your writing. I didn’t recognize the writing. Ruskin’s Collected Writings Students do most of their academic writing in English. The arrangement was never put into writing. The book aims to teach effective essay writing. The book is a collection of writings on death by various authors. The list was in Elizabeth’s writing. This agreement has to be confirmed in writing. You find a greater use of the passive in scientific writing. You find more technical words in scientific writing. a collection of writings by artists an anthology of writing about jazz the composer’s fine writing for the piano the evaluation of student writing the process of writing for publication Our son’s having problems with his reading and writing. The class takes a student-centred approach to creative writing. Who’s this from? I don’t recognize the writing.Idioms in the form of a letter, document, etc. (that gives proof of something) All telephone reservations must be confirmed in writing. Could you put your complaint in writing? You must get it in writing.
(saying) used when you are describing a situation in which there are signs that something is going to have problems or that it is going to be a failure It is amazing that not one of them saw the writing on the wall. From the Bible story in which strange writing appeared on a wall during a feast given by King Belshazzar, predicting Belshazzar’s death and the fall of his city.